Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Iced Tea Evangelism

Thank you God for the 'Divine Appointments' you allow to 'interrupt' our plans and routine. Help me to see people as you have created them, in your image and as your children. help me value others as much as you do. Amen....

A team who recently served with us from Valley Church, Cupertino, CA wrote of their experience.

Robert, a tall man in his mid-fifties stopped on the sidewalk in front of the house we were gutting and accepted a bottle of iced tea from Bob, one of our team members. As Robert was about to leave, the Lord led me to go to the sidewalk and start a conversation with him. He told me that his car had overheated, and that he was on his way to get some water for the radiator. As I handed him a tract, I told him about how Jesus had changed my life.

Robert listened with understanding and a growing look of longing on his face, a clear sign to me that the Holy Spirit had touched his heart. This gave me the courage to ask him if he would like to ask Jesus to be his Savior. He immediately said, “Yes, I want to do that.”

I led him in a prayer thanking the Lord for forgiveness, eternal life, and acceptance into the family of God in the name of Jesus! His face was glowing as I told him that even if we didn’t see each other again in this world, we would meet again in the eternal kingdom. He smiled in affirmation at my parting comment: “Robert, now you know Who let your car motor heat up!”

The rest of the story as I understand it, is that when they walked back to the car, Robert tried to start it one last time, and it started up and seemed to be running fine. Thank you God for redemption.

No comments: